So here in the gymnasium we have the one remnant of the old children’s home that used to sit on the site.And remarkably, it predates even the stone building from 1903.
And many of them went on to lead successful lives, carrying with them fond memories of their time at the children’s home.
Sunny Acres in the 1950s During the 40s and 50s the building went through several changes.
In 1948 the place was renamed to “Sunny Acres”, which was a more cheerful-sounding name than the State Orphan’s Home.
Around the same time there were also structural changes made to the building.
And even though it may not seem like it, this building is the one link back to the past.